Monday 28 October 2013

Cable tied duo




I have completed my cable cushion! I love the texture that can be achieved by knitting, it is astounding just how many variations of pattern that can be made with two simple stitches. 


I used a very chunky yarn, in soft pale cream - it was satisfying as the knitting grows so quickly! I did not manage to copy the pattern, rather making my own using the technique. 


I chose to use crochet for the back as the tweed yarn was only two ply, I would still be knitting until next year it was so tiny! The effect of the two textures add interest. 


I always use a single crochet to stitch the cushion together, it makes a lovely edge and creates more of a contrast between the crochet back and the knitted front



As each stitch is worked together it makes the finish tidier. 


The button edging was created afterwards using crochet which handles buttonholes easier than knitting techniques. I also added a slight curve / frill to the edge. 


The crochet back is wider to create a pillowcase effect, folding over inside covering the cushion. 


While I enjoyed this project - I could not help but consider how expensive it is to knit or crochet, the wool was approximately £7 per ball! I used two balls for this project but fortunately I had the buttons in my own button box. 

So when I came across a cable scarf in a charity shop it gave me an idea.....


This cable cushion is made like a patchwork quilt with the cable squares rotated at 90 degrees. 


I zigzag stitched the edges to prevent the kitting from fraying and then used one longer piece as a flap for the back. 


I wanted a contrasting back re-using this old white jumper. The bottom edge meant I could use it for the opening - there was no need to hem the open edge. 


The back looks like this - and this cushion was made for £5. I love up cycling - it gives me a real thrill. 

















A great source for cabling instructions and lots of knitting techniques can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think about this? I would love to hear from you...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin